1. If your kids are going to be using something all the time find a spot for it. Even if it is just a space for their bikes and a basket or box to put the helmets in. For balls I vote for the bungee cord trick. Very simple to put together and very simple for the balls to be put away for kids. If there are roller blades and hockey sticks we need a box. And on the shelves use smaller clear plastic containers so they can see what is in them.
2. Keep your tools all in the same place. Find a spot. If you can do a rack on the wall even better. Store nails and screws with like nails and screws. It will save you a ton of time.
3. Hang up beach chairs and umbrellas close to the ceiling. Unless you live at the beach you don’t need them very often.
4. Make or buy a tool rack for rakes and shovels-anything with a long handle. It will change your life.
5. Store like items in your plastic boxes. Keep what you need most at chest height. Things you don’t need often should go higher.
6. Keep all your gardening stuff oin one spot. I usually just keep all the small things in my weed bucket that I drag around the yard while weeding. It is amazing how fast you can get out the door if everything is already in a bucket.
7. Stackable bins for recyclables by the door is a great idea.
8. Having a small stool or step ladder in easy reach will help everyone.